Saturday, January 17, 2009

Reminiscing Last Weekend

Not much going on this weekend, so it's given me time to reflect on last weekend's backpacking trip in the Upper Buffalo Wilderness. I met up with friends, last Friday night, and we camped near the trailhead to Hawksbill Crag. Our plan was to hike down Whitaker Hollow to the Buffalo River, camp Saturday night at the mouth of Whitaker Hollow near the Buffalo River, and then hike up and out of Dug Hollow on Sunday. Friday night was mild, until the front blew through, dropping temperatures into the mid-20s by morning. We hiked down Whitaker Hollow with snowflakes falling. It was a great hike into the wilderness and a good chance to visit with some friends I have't seen a few years.
Here we are below a really neat waterfall. Water was going over the falls, but also through the limestone bedrock and coming out part way down the drop.

Creek in Whitaker Hollow.

Another cool shot of the creek in Whitaker Hollow. Here the stream is dissolving and eroding out the Pitkin limestone.


Later on down the hike, my friends took me to see a cave they'd found previously. I was a little skeptical that it would amount to anything, but I was pleasantly suprised. The cave had about 250 feet of passage, and I found four troglobites (cave-limited species) living in it!

No comments: